Monday, November 30, 2009

Hai

The eyes’ of winter are upon us, and it’s hard to believe that I have been here for half a year already. In some regards time has flown by, and that not that long ago I was in intense language lessons and anxiously waiting my site announcement. On the other hand, I have felt the time crawl by minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour. At times I feel as if I am living in a parallel universe, or somewhere in between, and can’t seem to find a way out. Slowly, but surely, I am becoming accustomed to living here and I am excited to see what a new season will bring.

This was my first Thanksgiving away from home and as much as I tried to suppress my yearning to be home, it still found a way to creep back in. This weekend I went into the capital and met up with most of the other volunteers here. We were able to go out, have some laughs, play football, and eat a Thanksgiving feast together. I’m glad I went, and I would have been down in the dumps if I hadn’t have gone, but it simply didn’t feel like Thanksgiving. A lot of the volunteers made dishes and brought it to the meal, and it was almost like I was tasting a little bit of everyone’s Thanksgivings from back home, yet none came close to the tastes, sights, and smells that I associate with Thanksgiving at my parent’s house.

I’m sorry that this has been such a short blog post. My host mother is very sick and I’m trying to pick up the slack and help in any way I can. As for now I have to fetch more firewood. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment