Thursday, January 21, 2010

Running through a soviet winter




I’m a four o’clock type of runner. I can’t find the energy to get up in the morning, strap on my shoes before breakfast, and hit the trails. My brain needs caffeine and my stomach needs food. By four o’clock in the afternoon I’ve had a chance digest lunch, I’ve put in a full day at work, and I’m ready to turn up the music and let my mind loose.

Today is shaping up to be a good day to run- it’s not snowing anymore, no wind, and the temperature isn’t too cold, about 14° F (-10 C). I’ve been meaning to take my camera with me running since I got to my village half a year ago, because usually it is quite a scenic run, except in the winter. I layer up, first the long johns, top and bottom, the sweats, a jacket, gloves, and a cap. Thanks to some very lovely ladies I adorn a pair of waterproof socks that were a going away present before coming here, and let me tell you, they make a world of difference. My earplugs for my iPod are pretty shotty, for some reason Apple makes great electronics except when it comes to earphones. The buds are falling apart, but with a beanie to secure them in place it works just fine for me. As you can see below, I rock the YakTraks when I run, if not I would be slipping and sliding all over the place.


I debate what to listen to today, I usually go for a premade playlist, but I listened to the “Pool-Time” playlist on my last run and there is just something too bizarre about running through a nearly white-out snowstorm jamming Bob Marley, Slightly Stoopid, and Sublime. I decide to go with an Australian hip-hop group called Hilltop Hoods (Play this link to make your blog reading experience closer to mine, although make sure to click on Open in New Window or Sigh-O-Nara). On the way out of my apartment building I run into a neighbor and give him a “Buna ziua Domnul”, which he replies back to, but the music muffles his response which makes it sound like a foreign language, err, yeah. The road that leads out to the pasture lands has four other Soviet style apartment buildings that look identical to mine on the left, and several small houses on the right. A group of teenagers spot me, and start to laugh at the ludicrousness of me running in these conditions. Seven months ago I might have been more self conscious, but I’ve found that teenagers will probably laugh or smirk at you no matter what you are doing so I keep on keeping on (We tend to put too much emphasis on nationalities, teenagers are the same on every continent). Plus, we’ve all been there, their capricious lifestyle wacked out from hormones makes the joke really on them. I make it to the end of the road, and zip straight across to head out into the fields, only now they are large bowls of snow and ice. There is a small, mounded road that I take that leads off into the hills and eventually will lead you to another village about 40 kilometers away. I try to stay on the far right or left of the road where the ground is built up and there is less snow. There is more traction to run on, but it feels like running on a balance beam because if you miss the seven inch stripe, you are either going to roll your ankle, or fall into about four feet of snow, or both. Other times I’ll simply plot a course in the middle of the road and plow right through the foot and a halfish of white powder. It calls for harder running, much more like running on sand except there is uneven, frozen mud clumps that lurk underneath the blanket of snow, but it’s enjoyable to high-knee it through that much snow and really burn some energy.


My thoughts are mostly scattered, as they should be when one runs. I just got off the phone with a friend from home, and my mind keeps wandering back to our conversation, about how my day is winding down while hers is just starting, and then I suddenly become aware of the song lyrics that are playing. The music is on quite loud to distract me from the cold. I’m only ten minutes into the run and the chill is still stinging slightly, but the music surprisingly helps.

It seems strange to me that it is now winter, when only a few short months ago I was running along this same path in shorts and no shirt. I start to wonder what the weather is like in Haiti, and how the country is fairing in the earthquake’s aftermath. A large part of me wants to be there to lend a helping hand, and after experiencing Hurricane Katrina first hand, it seems that a young, able-bodied volunteer would go along way. I understand that there is a large, probably almost unmanageable amount of human aide flowing into that country, and I am awestruck at people’s selflessness and humility at times. These highly trained professionals are going into the heart of God’s warzone, and I can only imagine that they are doing it because they know that they have the capability, the qualification, the and the mindset that it is our moral responsibility as a human race to help others when we can.

Life in a dysfunctional, new-to-the-ball-game capitalist economy has made me see more clearly the benefits and disadvantages that prevail in our free market society. I’m not bashing on bettering oneself financially or corporate gains, but I think we all tend to miss the bus on occasion by not giving back to our communities. Do some pro-bono work every now and then, volunteer at a local soup kitchen or animal care shelter, pick up a piece of trash you see on the side of the road at least (or donate funds to Peace Corps projects J); I guarantee you will feel better about yourself by giving back. I don’t want to sound too preachy here, because lord knows I am far from figuring out all the answers, but I do know the satisfaction gained from a selfless act. It may have taken me most of my life to figure that out, but better late than never right? Not to bring up teenagers again (can you tell that I live with one?), but I was on Facebook the other day and a friend of mine put up a “Text this number and donate funds for Haiti”, and her teenage younger brother responded, “Yeah, if your gay”. You see what I mean about missing the bus…


Song change. Back to reality. I make it to my halfway bridge about 25 minutes into the run. I’m feeling good at this point, my blood is circulating, my muscles are relaxed, and there is a nice trail of frozen snot plastered to my upper lip. When it’s this cold, there is no way my nose won’t not run, so I’ve learned to just let it freeze or else I’ll constantly have to wipe it off on my jacket or my gloves. I haven’t made it very far distance wise, when there isn’t any snow I can make it to this bridge in thirteen minutes, but since I’m simply shooting for a slow and steady timed run, I turn back. I’ve been trucking up the middle of the road for ten minutes now and turning around is welcomed. This time I make sure to run on the far right hand side and pick up some speed while I can run on quasi hard surface. I feel as if I’m in the Norwegian army doing basic training. I’m not sure if this is a very accurate thought though and will have to verify it with a friend of mine that was actually in their army, but it can’t be too far off.

Work related thoughts start to permeate into my mind. This morning was a slight disaster, or “brush fire” as my father likes to call it. I live in the raion center (a raion functions much like a county or parish) and my office oversees ten consultants throughout the region. Most of our projects occur in smaller villages than where I actually live, and I expect to be doing a fair amount of intra-raion traveling this spring. I’m in charge of spearheading a trash project in the village of Chiștilniță, or so I thought it was a trash project. I was handed a project proposal, in English, that my partners said I need to revise and turn it into a grant proposal. After reading the thing I find out that no, it’s not a garbage project at all, but instead it vaguely describes a composting demonstration plot. When I mean vague, it was close to incomprehensible. Calling around and asking the consultant there provided no luck as to the answers I need to go further with this project, and my first real project seems to be at a complete standstill until I can find someone to tell me what the actual goal is here. There is a lot riding on this one for me, and it would be nice to show my partners, my community, my colleagues, and you, that I’m capable of doing something on my own. O să vedem- we shall see.

Woooooaaahhh! My trapeze act comes to an abrupt halt while I fall face first into the snow while awkwardly twisting my knee in the process. I spy a dead, frozen dog ten meters from me that makes me think we came close to having similar fates. It doesn’t really matter that I’ve got on waterproof socks now, because I’m covered head to toe in snow with a fair amount in all the crevices where my bare flesh meets the cold with a cringe. I dust myself off, my knee still throb’s, but its bearable. It’s probably not the best idea to get up and run right now so I am going to do what my high school gym teacher, Coach Broussard, would always tell us, walk it out. Slowly the pain dulls, but doesn’t quite go away. Good enough for me, it’s too damn cold to walk all the way back anyways. I make it back without anymore original thoughts or spills. Mostly I think about what I want to do this weekend- read my book while sipping instant coffee next to the fire with intermittent Romanian study breaks sounds quite intriguing. I checked Weather Underground earlier today and it said that temperatures this weekend should hover around -13° F (-25 C), a perfectly good excuse to be worthless and not leave the house (You see now why I think today’s weather is nice?).

My concerned face after I fell, not to flip the camera off or anything.

I feel better now that I’ve ran; not that I felt bad going into it, I just am a lot calmer than I was before. Yes it might be out of the ordinary to do this three times a week, but there is that marathon goal looming over my head, and I feel like a badass coming from Louisiana and running through a “Soviet” winter. I know my blog has had a dark edge so far this year, but things are changing around for me. I’m living the dream one day at a time. Life is good.

Getting close to halfway

Halfway bridge


4 comments:

  1. What an entertaining read! Thanks for the link :)

    -Jamie Morris

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should write fiction and make some money out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visitng my blog and leaving a comment. I`m going to read yours now.

    Find me on facebook - www.facebook.com/katherine.perez =) peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. neal! i feel like such a horrible friend because i haven't been writing or keeping up with your blog as religiously as i have in the past. but i have spent the last hour or so at work catching up on everything you have been doing, and plan on writing you a letter when i get back home. but i also wanted to know if there is anything you are dying to have from over here in the states? i know last time it was some tony's--so if you're out of that, and/or have a yearning for something else from home please let me know!!

    ReplyDelete